2008 [92 posts]
Culture of Complexity
Data Structures and Algorithms
Databases and Python
Economics of Software
Methodology for Non-Programmers
Open Source Projects
Personal Web Toys
Test Driven Reverse Engineering
The Lure of XML
Unit Testing in Python
War Stories and Advice
- January 03 Is This Software World’s Equivalent of The Perpetual Motion Machine?
- January 05 I Thought It Was Just Me
- January 12 Python as Config Language – Forget XML and INI files
- January 19 Two Python Config-File Design Patterns
- January 26 Configuration File Scalability – Who Knew? (Revised)
- January 28 Building Skills In Python - 2.5 Edition
- February 02 Open-Ended Date Ranges – The “From Here to Eternity” Problem
- February 05 Python’s Duck Typing Not General Enough; SQL’s Minimally Typed Foreign Keys Not General Enough. Debugging Hilarity Ensues.
- February 09 Quantum Time: Dates, Times, DateTimes and Timestamps (3rd ed.)
- February 11 The Waterfall’s Not Working – Even A Client Said So
- February 14 Why Agile? What’s the Point?
- February 15 Open Source and Corporate IT (again)
- February 23 More Programming for n00bz
- March 01 Physical Database Design Questions – Some Inner Mysteries
- March 08 Technical Debt, the Cost of Cheap and “Get This Done ACAP”
- March 11 Al Gore’s Internet? Wait – What?
- March 12 Censorship - who wins?
- March 13 Consequences of Reverse Engineering
- March 19 iBlog Buggy... Since Leopard’s release... No fixes in sight.
- March 24 The Passive-Aggressive Programmer, part II
- March 24 The Django World-View: Model+Admin First; Built-in Transparency and Trustworthiness
- March 28 Python as Configuration Language – More Good Ideas
- March 31 Synchronicity and Document Object Models.
- April 01 POPO and GOPS - Plain Old Python Objects and Good Old Python Syntax
- April 02 Technology and New Business Models
- April 07 Airport Extreme + Time Machine. Wow!
- April 08 Building Skills Updates
- April 09 Innovation includes Failure (some organizations call it “Learning”, however)
- April 13 XKCD summarizes Python nicely
- April 15 Abuses of Use Cases - a Failure Taxonomy
- April 16 Innovation Pushed to Vendors
- April 20 The Half-Truth About Consultants
- April 23 SOA New Realities
- April 27 Tackling the Spreadsheet Problem
- April 28 Three More False Dichotomies – Plus a Bonus Misdirection
- May 08 Standard Software Defects - Java Edition
- May 09 Python and the Star Schema
- May 12 Parallelism Fetishes. #1: Equal-Sized Partitions
- May 14 Keeping the Customer Satisfied
- May 24 Some “Duck Typing Can’t Scale” crap-ola
- May 27 Brain Dead and Visual Basic: Coincidence?
- May 30 My Peers Don’t Get PL/SQL, What Can I Do?
- May 31 Building Skills in OO Design – Updated
- June 03 In Praise of Serialization via __repr__ (Revised)
- June 06 Tech Visionaries
- June 06 My Query Is Slow – What To Do? Or Dumb-As-A-Post SQL (Revised)
- June 07 Genius Move – Characteristic Functions
- June 14 Denormalization or “What did you mean by that?”
- June 19 Building Skills in OO Design
- June 25 Wrestling with REST
- June 29 The “Which Language” Question
- July 06 Voice of the Customer
- July 12 What’s Central Here?
- July 18 Technology and Compromise
- July 28 Small Not-For-Profit Web Presence – What to do?
- July 30 Getting to an Agile process
- July 31 Small Not-For-Profit, Part II
- August 03 Stored Procedures Are A Configuration Management Nightmare (revised)
- August 06 The Schema Evolution Problem
- August 13 Testing RESTful web services in Django – Tantalizingly Close.
- August 16 The Technology Obsession
- August 20 What is Perception? What is Reality? It seems to depend on your sponsors.
- August 22 Universal Truths
- August 22 Risk-Based Testing
- August 28 The Joy of Unit Testing
- August 30 Tooling to Build Test Cases
- September 02 The Big Plan For Change™ – Since it never works, what’s the alternative?
- September 02 Lean Projects — Not Deficient Projects
- September 04 The Lean Architecture
- September 06 Bind Variables and Prepared Statements – Good, Bad or Indifferent?
- September 09 I didn’t get the memo – apparently, I’m not on the distribution list – in fact, there may be no list
- September 14 Filesystem Deployment: Some Hand-Wringing
- September 23 Too much of the wrong kind of fun.
- September 24 “The Business Analyst Lied” Or “Python To The Rescue”
- September 28 How did I start with Python?
- September 28 Programming Languages I’ve Learned (more-or-less in order) [Update]
- October 05 Exploratory Programming – Incremental Development in Python (Revised)
- October 12 I hate CSS – mostly because I don’t understand it
- October 21 How can we demo web services?
- October 25 Classic / Ancient Bit of Marketing
- November 01 The Python “Connection Reset By Peer” Problem
- November 08 Python 3.0
- November 13 To GUI or not to GUI, that is a question
- November 17 Concealing the code base – in Python. I think not.
- November 22 Schrodinger’s cat lives! Or doesn’t!
- November 24 Open Source In The News
- November 29 Rickrolling Trifecta
- December 02 Conflating Test and Debug
- December 09 Configuration Files – Again
- December 18 My Favorite Appliance
- December 22 Blogging and Technical Writing
- December 31 Building Documentation